Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Next Cake Boss

Anyone familiar with the hit TLC series, The Cake Boss? If you are, you know who I'm talking about when I refer to Buddy. If you aren't, I'll let you know that Buddy is the head honcho at his bakery, and he comes off rather fierce on TV. And like I said, I could be the next "cake boss." Wondering why? I'll tell ya.
Over spring break this past week, Jeremiah and I ventured north to visit family. During part of our stay, I traveled even further north to Poughkeepsie, New York with my mom and sister. For sixteen hours over two days, we were taught how to make gum paste flowers by Betty VanNorstrand. Betty taught the cake boss, Buddy, all that he knows only a mere six years ago. And in case you're wondering, Betty claims that the aggressive, commanding Buddy we see on TV is really just an act. Apparently, he's nothing like that in real life. She would know.
This 81 year old lady is no joke. She travels all over the place teaching classes, lives minutes away from The Culinary Institute of America (where she teaches), has invented crazy tools to help the world of wedding cakes, and has apprenticed a number of pastry big wigs. 
And there I was, sitting in her wretchedly out-of-date basement, never having touched or seen gum paste in the flesh (had only heard of it from Ace of Cakes) and getting the same lessons as the cake boss. I predicted Betty would have had it with me by lunchtime on the first day; but alas, it took her til mid-afternoon on the second day to tell me to quit complaining. And I will say I was a tad insulted by that comment, being that this stuff is nearly impossible and I am a pretty impatient perfectionist. She's a sweet lady on the whole, though, so I got over it. 
I'll let you be the judge. I think I ended up doing pretty well. That's from scratch people. 
My sister was hoping my mom and I could learn so that we would be able to help her as she tries to start up her own cake business from home. I'll just say this... Andria makes crazy amazing cakes without flowers. Order those.






2 comments:

Me said...

These are gorgeous! You ARE the next Cake Boss! Wow! I'm so impressed. Now, do they taste good or do you not really eat them??

Kristin said...

beautiful!