Wednesday, May 19, 2010

All Grown Up


All three Koehler kids are officially grown up. My parents' baby boy graduated from Penn State University this past weekend, transitioning my immediate family into a new phase of life. We're all adults now, out in the real world fending for ourselves (for the most part). Shortly after Jeremiah and I got engaged, Cameron so affectionately told me that at some point they stop being parents and start being old friends. In a way, he's right. We're not kids anymore, and although our parents will always be our parents, I think families inevitably move into a new way of being at this point in the game. There are a lot of good things and traditions from my childhood and my life prior to this point that sometimes I'm not sure I want to give up. As I think about our lives moving forward, I understand that I don't have to give them up, but I do need to embrace this new phase. It's exciting to think about the future. It's exciting to think about interactions more closely relating to friendships. It's exciting to think about marriages and babies and all that comes with expanding our family of five (well six, with Jeremiah).

There were moments of emotion at Cameron's graduation, but also moments of joy and celebration. We're so proud of him. Sitting next to my parents during the ceremony allowed me to reflect on how vital the two of them were in the process. They beamed with pride for Cameron, and they should. They played a huge role in the man he has become and the success he has achieved. They've done a heck of a job raising three very different kids to be pretty great. Cameron would argue he was granted the best of everything, but I'd say my sister and I didn't turn out so bad either.

Congratulations, Cameron. I can't believe you're all grown up already. Well done.





1 comment:

Kristin said...

That was beautiful! And you looked beautiful!