Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dining Upgrade

Since December 29th the dining area off of our kitchen has been a bit lacking. And by a bit I mean a lot. Gray walls and a white table and chairs. We would have been a bit more ambitious with this space had we not found out about my pregnancy so soon after moving in. But in anticipation of the little one, some projects have been put on the back burner. Fortunately, several weeks ago Joann was having a big fabric sale (read: 50% off with an extra 15% off with the teacher discount) and soon after my mom was arriving for a visit. That meant, killer fabric for much cheaper than normal that could be made into curtain panels by a seamstress much more advanced than myself (see also: much more patient). I'm convinced I'm not cut out for sewing. I have huge aspirations, but every time I sit down to my trusty machine I just cannot produce anything either (a) quick enough or (b) legit enough. So thank God for my mom and her handiwork. We're loving how the fabric ties in to the living room color scheme since we have a pretty open concept layout.
Another upgrade came by means of a lucky last move. With my brother now living in our once-guestroom and a baby soon living in our last empty space in less than three months (!!!), we've had to get rather creative with furniture and storage placement. A childhood dresser we planned to have in the nursery (but then realized wasn't going to work in that space) was one of the last items left needing a new home. I was convinced it would never work, but it was one happy accident when my mom and I tested the dresser out in the dining room as a pseudo-sideboard. Of course, it needs a bit more love in the form of a substantial piece or pieces of artwork above to beef it up next to the tall curtains. I have some cheap ideas running through my head, but have a feeling it could be another seven months before this area sees another upgrade.




1 comment:

Kristin said...

Can you decorate my apartment please?!