Friday, July 16, 2010

Flying Squirrels

Last night we went to our very first Richmond Flying Squirrels game. They played the Bowie Baysox, who are affiliated with the Orioles. The Flying Squirrels is Richmond's new AAA baseball team, formerly the Richmond Braves. Although the Braves were affiliated with the Atlanta Braves (barf), the Squirrels are now affiliated with the San Francisco Giants. Figure that one out. And what a name, you say. I agree. Other potential team names included the Hush Puppies, the Rhinos, the Hambones, and a few others that were so bad I've blocked them out of my memory.
Minor league games are hilarious to me. We had Diamond Club seating, best in the house, and tickets were only $10 a piece. Parking right next to the ballpark was a mere $3 and Jeremiah got a vat of kettle corn that could feed a small orphanage for only $4. And it was good kettle corn. Unlike the funnel cake (although still delicious), the sweet and savory corn was authentic.
We also had the great fortune of seeing fireworks afterwards, which at first didn't look promising, but turned out to be fantastic. Minus the heat and humidity, it was a great experience of some good ol' fashioned baseball with our friends the Irbys. Unfortunately, the Squirrels lost, but it was a nail-biter to the finish.



1 comment:

Kristin said...

Go nuts! haha I love that sign... I also love this: "Minor league games are hilarious to me." I laughed out loud picturing you say that hah