Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tornadoes and Treats

Unbeknownst to me, Central Virginia was/is under a tornado warning until 8pm this evening. Being that I frequently check the weather (mostly due to my outrage towards VA temps--it's in the 80s people!!), I knew we were bound to experience rain and quite possibly thunderstorms. But tornadoes? I hadn't heard! Not until I was on the elevator on my way down to my car when I received a text message from a friend warning me to take cover, big storms were on their way. I had just heard a couple rumbles of thunder and by the time I made it to my car I was being pelted with heavy rain. Although a bit nervous (I've been scared of thunderstorms since I was a child), I pressed on and drove out of the parking lot to the traffic light. The traffic light was out. The winds had now increased tremendously, the rain so heavy one might have thought the Hoover Dam unleashed atop my car. I couldn't see anything except the traffic lights now completely horizontal and blurry headlights. I was panicking! Literally shaking. Was I going to get sucked up into the abyss? Or would my car just flip and I'd suffer? I called my dear husband to wish him a good life without me, but per usual he didn't answer (only this time his phone was acting up, so he's innocent). After I miraculously got out of the left-hand turn lane and circled back into the parking lot, I called my friend Bevin, the text messanger. She was reporting the weather to me as she watched it live on the TV. I was indeed in the midst of extremely hazardous weather. Listening to her advice, I hung tight in the parking lot (in fear) for 15 more minutes until it seemed to clear.
Wouldn't you know 5 minutes later the sun was out.

But the stress from my commute home quickly subsided as I opened the unexpected package that awaited me on my doorstep. My dear mom sent Jeremiah and I Halloween goodies! Wishing your mom was that cool? Thought so. She knows that at 24 and 25, we can still appreciate Halloween festiveness. And I love how she doesn't just send an obesity-sized bag of 'fun-size' candy. No, she has cute bags, with the perfect confections--gummies for J, chocolate for me--and handmade bat name tags. If you denied your wish for a cooler mom now, I know the veil has now been lifted from your eyes.



And P.S., they should really rename king-size candy bars to fun-size and rename those little teases to unsatisfying. Amen?


1 comment:

Kristin said...

I would have LOVED that storm!!