Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cars: A Necessary Evil

Our car saga continues. Many of you know Jeremiah's Taurus is on the brink of defeat but, with just enough repairs to get by, Shaniqua, is pulling through for us this month. 
As for my Volkswagen--our "reliable" car--it has seen better days. For those of you left uninformed, my dear ol' Golf had $500+ of repairs a couple weeks ago after shaking and flashing engine lights had it towed away. Since then, the symptoms have come back to haunt us not once, but twice. This morning I took it in for another look and have just found out that it needs a new coil pack or something--a part that costs $500+. The endearing man at the Volkswagen dealership said he'd cut me a deal and sell me the part for just a few dollars shy of $400. How lovely.
It seems all too fitting that I read a devotion last night about remembering that we only see bits and pieces, but God knows the bigger (and better) picture. Proverbs 3:5-12. Week after week as Jeremiah and I wonder how we're going to make ends meet and then get hit with unexpected bills like this, we are forced to choose to believe that God does indeed know what He's doing, that He does indeed care for us, and that His promises for provision are true. It's a huge test of our faith, and as much as I'd like to run, scream, or freak out, I know that this testing is producing a maturity and completeness in us that is far more significant than our present financial circumstances. It's a hard choice to make--to trust the Lord and not rely on what I can do (which clearly isn't too much).
So keep praying for us and for God's care and provision. We are so appreciative to know we have friends and family who not only love us, but who are lifting us up in prayer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brianna and Jeremiah, you are wise beyond your years! It is said that the Lord will not give us more than we can handle; however, I often wonder, why does He have so much confidence in me?

Love yah, Dad