Saturday, September 13, 2008

Work, Work, Work

The main reason we moved to Midlothian was because Jeremiah was offered a position with Chesterfield County Public Schools. We were so thankful that even before Jeremiah graduated he was given an open contract, and that he is able to work in such a great school. He has just finished his second week as an 8th grade algebra teacher at Robious Middle School. He teaches three classes in a double-block format, which means he sees three different classes each day for 90 minutes for the entire year. That's a lot of algebra for those students! Mr. Link couldn't be happier to have his own trailer, particularly so he can regulate the temperature. I've been there once, and let's just say next time I go back I'll be sure to bring layers. His classroom looks great, something he is very proud of since he did it all himself and didn't have much to work with. The students have warmed up to him and I look forward to hearing about the unique personalities each night at dinner. It's been a great experience so far!
After about a month and a half of feeling purposeless, I think I have finally figured out what I'll be doing. As some of you know, I was accepted to substitute in the district but have been looking for other work due to the inconsistency, early wake-up (5am!), and amount of travel. Since the school year started I have been providing after school childcare to a really fun family. Every day I drive about a half hour to watch 9 year old Shep and 12 year old Shane (4th and 7th graders) for a few hours. I'm there not necessarily to babysit, but to be there in case of emergency and to chauffeur them to their countless sports practices almost everyday. I'm glad for the opportunity, and am having a lot of fun playing game after game with Shep each day.
Less than a week ago I was also hired at the Goddard School close to our apartment. I will be working Monday through Friday from 7-10/10:30, with the potential to work longer when they need the extra help. I'm looking forward to a consistent work schedule, especially doing work I am comfortable with. It seems like it will work out great, and I'm glad to have a break in the day to go about my wifely duties, exercise, or run errands. The only thing I need now is a closet full of khakis.

No comments: