Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Children Taken By Surprise

I have to be brief since I'm heading out the door to work in a half hour, but wanted to do this while I was thinking of it.
I am the new worship coordinator for children's ministry (K-5) at our church, Hope Church. This is a new position and I'm definitely new to the game. I am in charge for lining up worship each Sunday and innovating different ideas for exposing kids to praising God through song, dance, etc. We're trying to move forward from simple PowerPoint lyrics and a downloaded song playing in the background. Crossing my fingers for live worship the majority of the Sundays in a month!
This past Sunday was kick-off Sunday for the children's ministry school year. We wanted something exciting and engaging to start it off right. I think we did just that! My awesome and talented husband agreed to write and perform a rap for the kids. He took the song 2 Step remix (instrumental), recorded his voice several times over on a computer program, rewrote the lyrics, and then performed it live on Sunday. It was SUCH A HIT. He has gotten so many compliments and thank yous from those who were lucky enough to experience it live. Although the kids--and the adults--were very much taken by surprise and not at all used to worshipping in this way, it definitely was a step in the right direction. The hope is that Jeremiah might perform this once a month so that the kids eventually learn it and can have 'ownership' over it for the year. We'll see! You can check out some of the performance here.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

LOVE ITTT!!! two steppp

The Shadow said...

Wow that sounds great! We miss ya'll...