Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkey Time

Although I normally dislike when American citizens refer to Thanksgiving as "Turkey Day," I had no "th" alliteration options, so there ya have it.
As one might expect, our holiday break was chock-full-o-traveling. This trip was much more of a whirlwind as is par for the course, but enjoyable nonetheless. Tuesday after work we headed way up north to the Links, stayed there Wednesday, the Koehlers came up for feasting on Thursday, that night the six of us drove back to Sellersville, stayed there Friday, and finally Saturday we drove to State College for the game and back home to Richmond that night. WOW. I'm exhausted.
On Wednesday I spent most of the day in my mother-in-law's kindergarten class. The Pilgrims and Indians had quite the Thanksgiving celebration with homemade applesauce, cornbread, and mini pumpkin pies. They were adorable and sweet and quiet. Oh it was so peaceful, a whole different world from the one I live in daily.
Hmm what other notables?
My sister and I made the mistake of battling the Black Friday crowds. At the outlets. Terrible, terrible mistake. After my brother's horrible tales of faraway parking and long treks up sketchy streets to get there last year, we decided to take a different route. Unfortunately, that route took us at least twenty minutes longer. Now that wouldn't have been all that bad if we wouldn't have had to spend another twenty (at least!) trying to find a parking space. Out of control. Much like our travels north, my experience at the outlets was quite a whirlwind. I don't know how people focus on anything as they try to calculate sales, rummage through unorganized clothing, and anticipate long lines. Never again for me. I love a great sale as much as the next person, but my mental and emotional sanity had been compromised, at which point even I have to admit it's just not worth it.
Then came Saturday. I have never ever been as cold as I was sitting at that football game. NEVER. And the wind. Oh my the WIND! Mind you, it didn't help that I had become ill that morning, going through half a box of tissues on the way there. Nevertheless, I never thought one could be that cold with that many layers. My downfall was my feet. Only one pair of socks and a pretty thin pair of shoes. Even a heavy wool sock couldn't stand up to that cold cement. Even though I came down with acute hypothermia, it was so great to be back at my alma mater and even to see a couple girls who are dear to my heart from when I interned with Campus Crusade the year after I graduated.
Skimming back over this post, it sounds like it was horrible. It wasn't. It was so so good to see family and friends and to spend time eating good food, watching holiday movies, and seeing the snow fall for the first time this season.
Onward to Christmas!




1 comment:

Kristin said...

Brrr!! That kid in the front of the classroom picture is making a hilarious face! Hope you can rest after your crazy "vacation"