Sunday, January 16, 2011

Be Our Guest

Day 3: Guest Room (and Entryway)

Although I've always been a bit of a nay-sayer when it comes to team themed rooms, I have caved under pressure. Not that there actually was any pressure. I guess it was more like I caved under nostalgia and fun pillows.
The three square throw pillows on the bed were my inspiration for the Penn State room. I found them very cheap from Coldwater Creek and was inspired to look into subtly theming the guest room. I then took several trips down memory lane as I looked up artwork and housewares from our dear ol' alum online. Even though I enjoy living in Virginia, it's no secret that I'm homesick for Pennsylvania as well. And like most people say, college was the best time of my life and so those memories and that school are very dear to me. I thought it'd be wonderful to have a place for that stuff. Plus, most of our out of town guests will feel right at home.
It still needs some work (as does everything), but it's on its way. I asked my brother to dig up some old PSU calendars he had and used a few pictures to frame on the wall. They're big which is helpful on the blank wall, and stand out in white frames with thick white matting. That white desk is refinished from the bedroom furniture I had as a kid. Hopefully having my sewing machine out will inspire me to get crafty. We hung a few frames and a bulletin board above it, which I'm not completely sold on yet; however, it does showcase Joe Paterno's autograph and a picture of my siblings and me on the lion shrine when we were kids, both great things. We'll see.
Jeremiah and I painted this room ourselves, so don't look too closely if you're staying here one weekend. I'm okay with the color, but it's reads a lot bluer than I would have hoped. The gray sheets aren't helping, which are a completely different gray from the walls. Once the non-flannel white sheets are on the bed, it might look a bit more how I was expecting. I'm wishing we would have used the same color in the guest room as we did in the dining room now that it's on the walls. I suppose that's why people advise homeowners to put a sample on the wall before attacking the entire room. Live and learn.
Right next to the room, in the entryway area of our place is a bathroom that our guests can use as well. In our apartment we only had one little bathroom, so we are loving that two people can shower at one time in our condo. And since we're revealing a little of the entryway, there are a few pictures of the whole thing. We need to get a table for under the mirror, as the one there now is very old and clearly doesn't work well style-wise in that space.




This is the view as you walk in the front door. Living room ahead on the left, bathroom on the right, and guest room ahead and to the right.

Here's a view of the entryway from the guest room. The opened door is the bathroom, the door straight ahead is the coat closet (across from that is a storage closet), and the front door is the the left.


1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow- there is no doubt that you guys made an excellent decision with this place- it's incredible and I can't wait to visit!