Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Catch-Up, Not Mustard

A teacher I used to work with used that phrase and I thought it was pretty clever. It's time for catch-up, not mustard. Get it? And just like the kids need time to get caught up with their work after a long week, so do we. It's been a busy, eventful couple weeks that we're about to get you caught up on.

Our days leading up to Christmas traveling were filled with packing as you might imagine. Jeremiah was left to his own devices during the day while I worked at my part-time job Monday and Tuesday, and I must say he did beyond a decent job. I thought he had jumped the gun a bit as he packed up all our pantry food on Monday, but I know now he knew exactly what he was doing. Fortunately for him, we were essentially forced to eat out for several days on end. It was extreme. In fact, if we were to go back and tally, I'm sure we've beaten a world record. Call Guinness!

The Wednesday before the big day we headed to Montrose to visit with Jeremiah's family. Because we were leaving on Christmas morning to travel down to my parents' house, we turned Christmas Eve into Christmas with the Links. We had a great time, despite the calendar showering December 24th. On the 25th we celebrated in Sellersville and had a wonderful time as well. Coming home to people who love you and can't wait for you to arrive is such a good feeling. Although we traveled a ton during a hectic holiday and moving season, it was worth it in the end to be able to spend some special time with our family.

Despite the ten or so inches of snow on the ground Monday morning, we made our departure for Virginia--but not without a stop at Ikea to shove a new sofa in my sister's Jeep and some dining room chairs in the Cruiser. There is more storage than meets the eye in those cars. Of course I was filled with doubt, but luckily my dad and Jeremiah were able configure things just right so that we didn't have to leave any of our Christmas gifts on the side of the road.

We made it safely back to Midlothian, waking up bright and early on Tuesday for our final walk-through. Minus some crooked vinyl that they've just now replaced today, things were looking pretty good. The anxious soon-to-be-homeowners that we were arrive early at our next appointment to close on our first place. Surprisingly they took us in right away, and about an hour later we had bought our first home! Thankfully, my right hand has just about healed completely from all the signing we had to do. I think we cut our time significantly from other closers since Jeremiah is a lefty and I'm a righty. Signing at the same time is the way to go.

Afterwards, shock set in pretty heavy for me as those of you who know me well might imagine. Does the term "buyer's remorse" sound familiar? I was pretty nervous and actually am just now starting to enjoy it here. All of the craziness that comes with buying a home was a bit much for me, especially during a busy time of year. The packing, loading, unloading, unpacking, driving to and from Home Depot for more paint a thousand times, painting, spending money, hosting family, decorating, over-thinking everything, etc etc. It was rather overwhelming at first.
When we've moved before to different apartments I've had everything set up and looking perfect the second or third day we were there. Not at all the case now. Today they had to rip up some of our floor, so a couple rooms look just as bad as they did on day one of the move. We're waiting on some furniture, we can't decide where to hang stuff or put stuff. I'm discontent with the stuff we have and would rather wait (impatiently) to move forward until we have what's 'right.' I'm crazy.
But then my dear husband dances around pointing out how much more space we have and how awesome it is here and I am reminded to smile. Reminded that this is an exciting time and I don't have to let all my worries keep me from experiencing some happiness.
Except that everyone freaks out because we have a white carpet and a white sofa. That stresses me out and I can't do anything about it. So please, if you come over, just take off your shoes and pretend you're not phased by it.


And best of all, guess how many pictures I took of all of this??!

NONE.
Not a single picture. Moron.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

haha you're the best :) Try to enjoy- I know the "buyer's remorse" feeling, but this is a great step for you and Jer!! White carpets are beautiful!! Praying for peace and patience during this time!