Tuesday, May 22, 2012

At Least It Wasn't A Mullet?

Our poor child has had a rattail for several months. Yes, months. We've been waiting and waiting for it to fall out with the rest of her first phase of baby hair. We haven't researched the details of this near balding experience, obviously. When my mom visited in April she mentioned she was shocked I hadn't cut it yet. I was shocked she would even suggest it. My mom is a big traditionalist and although I value traditions a lot, I can have a bit of a rebellious spirit. Just a bit. And in this conversation, for a brief moment, I felt understood. Wouldn't this nullify the sacred first haircut?? Are you really suggesting I just take a pair of household scissors to my first baby's hair without an appointment on the calendar or a cape around her neck? It took me some time to process this. I was torn - feeling for my poor daughter with the unsightly rattail, but wanting to preserve fond memories for her. I've already blown any semblance of a baby book, or even tracking milestones on a calendar that has all the stickers printed for me. I don't want Surrey to look back and think we didn't make a big deal about her life. 
But as that tail of hair coming not from the nape of her neck but the lower-middle of her head stared me at me each day after that, I decided the time had come. We'd make it semi-significant by trimming it off the day before her baptism and snapping a few photos. And so I did. I now have a greater appreciation for hair stylists who have to cut kids' hair. I only had one chunk naturally sectioned off for me and couldn't even cut it in one snip.